Thursday, March 1, 2012

We are the B!

But that doesn’t mean we aren’t allowed to dream.

I just watched Dream High 2 episode 9, and once again it reminds me of the reason why I love Dream High, despite it being infested with idols and how everyone often readily cast a condescending opinion over idol-infested dramas like Dream High.

Far from it actually. The reason why I loved Dream High 1 when it first came out is because rather than it being about handsome idols and pretty singers, Dream High is about dreaming high, and achieving your near-impossible dreams. It is about people who are ordinary and common, seemingly not worth noticing, yet they possess an incredible amount of hidden talent, and it is this talent that will make them beautiful.

It is about the fight for impossible dreams, the harsh reality within it, and temptations to stoop low to despicable means, yet one fights to achieve their dreams without having to become a person they are ashamed of.

In short, it describes the music industry, and people who do not want to fall into the stereotypical traps (drugs, alcohol, sex etc), unlike many other people who works in the music industry.

I feel that Dream High 2 actually brings out the ‘ordinary, common people’ more strongly. It’s about people who are not the best, not the top of the world, not the cream of the crop, yet does it means they are not allowed to have a dream?

I think Dream High 2 is such a great drama with an incredible learning point for much of our society today. With this mad rush towards becoming the best, and the ‘best’ increasingly thinking that they are better than anyone else, and the discrimination against those who are ordinary and less talented than they are. Even if they are not the best, does that take away their right to dream?

Of course, reality is harsh and there is a good reason why only the best makes it and the second-best are better off finding other alternatives. But in the midst of such a harsh reality, it is still important at times, to remind ourselves that everyone has a right to dream, and who knows, maybe even the B-rated will one day surpass all expectations and become A-class.

I’ve translated the lyrics into English. I am not good with lyrics translation seriously, because much is lost in translation, but here is my (first?) attempt at translating lyrics. Please feel free to correct me ^^

We are the B

I am a girl, just a girl
a girl who passes by yet a girl whom nobody will recognize.
a girl who isn’t pretty and of low standards
a person who is common and ordinary.

I am a boy, just a boy
a boy among the many other boys
a boy with nothing special
a person with no good qualities

We are the B B B-rated
who want to be A
We are not not not the top,
yet we want to be at the top

It’s nothing spectacular
It is not necessary
Isn’t it just futile sweat that drips down from us
Compared to my stifling heart, the stifling surroundings around me
The expressions on the faces of people around me
Aren’t I beginning to become tired of it

When can I find my own uniqueness in my heart
and show it to everyone
Before I forget the leftover bit of the dreams in my heart
Can the light ever shine on me?

Translation notes:
I am very bothered by the chorus. So much is lost in translation in English.
In Korean, it is actually a wordplay! But I can’t bring that out in English.

우리는 B B B급 인생
A급이 되고 싶은
우리는 비 비 비정상들
정상에 서고 싶은

The first line is of course, “B B B” referring to B-rated and the B-class as opposed to the best A-class.
The third line is also pronounced as ‘B’ or ‘bi’, and can mean rain (bi). But in this case, it is actually hanja 非 which is also written as 비(非) and also pronounced as ‘bi’ or ‘B’, meaning ‘not’.

정상 (jeong sang) in the third line is very interesting.

정상 (jeong sang) means ‘the top’ or ‘the summit’. In hanja, it is 頂上. Since 비(非)means ‘not’ and 정상 (頂上) means ‘the top’, 비정상 (bi jeong sang) means they are not top-notch.

The thing is, 비정상 is rarely used to express “not top-notch”. 비정상’s other hanja meaning is actually 非正常 which is more commonly used. If you can read Chinese characters, you will know that 비정상 (非正常) can also mean ‘extraordinary, unique, abnormal’.

So I think this is actually an interesting word play, to mean two different meanings,
one: their desire to be at the top, and
two: they who sincerely believe that they can also be extraordinary and exceptional.

우리는 B B B급 인생
We are B B B-rated
A급이 되고 싶은
who want to A
우리는 비 비 비정상
We are not not not the top,
정상에 서고 싶은
yet we want to be at the top

That’s my interpretation! Obviously this is lost in translation when in English… :(
I’m glad I understand Chinese, therefore Korean Hanja is not that difficult for me.

Beautiful song! And I guess you also need to watch this drama to really understand how much meaning there is, because it’s about this group of friends who are second-rated, and have been hurt in the process of achieving their dreams. This song is for them.

==========


This is all a copy paste from here. Not claiming any credit but I just agreed with the post. I hope this is tumblr so I can reblog but yeah no.

No comments: